Noah’s Covenant Story (Genesis 9)
Eden Covenant – fruit tree, king, flag – Yahweh renewed his Eden covenant with Noah’s family. Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and take care of creation.
Power & Provision – bird, water, fish, beast – God made all creation fear humans. God said people can now eat meat, except bloody meat, for blood is the sign of life.
Cherish Life – king, cloud, man, flame, sword – Yahweh made life precious. Any beast or human that takes a person’s life must die, for God made us in his image.
Rainbow Sign – rainbow & raincloud – Yahweh made a new covenant: to never again destroy the earth by flood. The covenant sign is a rainbow in the clouds.
- What signs do we see of God and man starting over?
- Compare this story to Eden Garden in Genesis 2.
- Imagine God starting a whole new world with your family. What kind of society would you want to build?
- How do you think the flood affected Noah’s family?
- Why did God promise to never again flood the earth?
- When you see a rainbow, do you remember this story? Why did God choose a rainbow as the sign?
- How does God reinforce how special life is to him?
The following activities will help you remember the story, apply wisdom to your own life, and tell the story to others.
- Pray. Listen to the story. Draw the story.
- Tell the story with the drawings.
- Draw your own pictures to illustrate the story.
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal wisdom in the story.
- Pray. What is the Holy Spirit asking you to do next?
- Go and tell the story to someone. Discuss the story.
- Disciple others to become Spirit-filled storytellers.
Download this lesson > Click here
Want more stories? Visit blazingtrees.org/storytellers
Ask James a question > firstname.lastname@example.org
Feeling generous today? Click to give