Replacing Judas Story (Acts 1)
Constant Prayer – disciples, flame, house – Jesus’ disciples returned to Jerusalem after his ascension. They stayed in a house unified in prayer and worship.
Judas’ Betrayal – Jesus, chains, Judas, gallows – Peter stood up and spoke about Judas’ betrayal, how it was prophesied by David, and how terrible was his death.
Jesus’ Witness – empty tomb, man, flame, flag – Peter said the Psalms prophesied a replacement. The new apostle must be someone who had been with Jesus since John’s baptism, and witnessed his resurrection.
Dream Team – Jesus, cloud, flame, apostle – They chose two candidates. They prayed for discernment. The Holy Spirit confirmed Matthias as the new apostle.
- Imagine you’re with the disciples praying. What are you thinking about now that Jesus has ascended?
- Why did the disciples need the Holy Spirit to come?
- List examples of Judas’ betrayal in Psalm 109.
- How did the other disciples feel about Judas’ death?
- Why did the new apostle need to be an eyewitness?
- Consider their prayer, “Lord, you know all our hearts.”
- What were Jesus’ disciples preparing for and why?
The following activities will help you remember the story, apply wisdom to your own life, and tell the story to others.
- Pray. Listen to the story. Draw the story.
- Tell the story with the drawings.
- Draw your own pictures to illustrate the story.
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal wisdom in the story.
- Pray. What is the Holy Spirit asking you to do next?
- Go and tell the story to someone. Discuss the story.
- Disciple others to become Spirit-filled storytellers.
Download this lesson > Click here
Want more stories? Visit blazingtrees.org/storytellers
Ask James a question > firstname.lastname@example.org
Feeling generous today? Click to give