Noah’s Sons Story (Genesis 9)
Sin Remains – grapevine, cup, wine – Noah and his family were the only people left on earth after the flood. Noah planted a vineyard and became drunk.
Shame & Honor – tent & sons – Noah passed out in his tent naked and asleep. Ham saw his father and told his brothers. Shem & Japheth covered Noah to honor him.
Slavery Curse – pit, slave, chains – Noah was furious when he awoke. His youngest son had shamed him. He declared a slavery curse on Ham’s descendants.
Wealth Blessing – house, table, bread, cup, flame – Noah declared wealth, prosperity, and God’s blessings over his two older sons. After 950 years, Noah died.
- What elements of a tragedy do we see in this story?
- Look at Noah and his family from God’s perspective. He just cleansed the earth; yet, sin still flourishes.
- Compare what’s honorable vs. shameful in this story.
- What clues in the story hint that Ham did something really bad to Noah while he was asleep and alone?
- Consider Jesus’ words about forgiving in John 20:23.
- How did this experience impact each of Noah’s kids?
- What will you remember the most about Noah’s life?
The following activities will help you remember the story, apply wisdom to your own life, and tell the story to others.
- Pray. Listen to the story. Draw the story.
- Tell the story with the drawings.
- Draw your own pictures to illustrate the story.
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal wisdom in the story.
- Pray. What is the Holy Spirit asking you to do next?
- Go and tell the story to someone. Discuss the story.
- Disciple others to become Spirit-filled storytellers.
Download this lesson > Click here
Want more stories? Visit blazingtrees.org/storytellers
Ask James a question > firstname.lastname@example.org
Feeling generous today? Click to give