Embracing Calvary Story (Matthew 26)
Devastating Destination – tears, Jesus, road, cross, cloud – Jesus went with his disciples to a garden and prepared for his crucifixion. His heart grieved deeply.
Jesus’ Humanity – Jesus, cup, God, cloud – Jesus left his disciples to pray alone. He asked God to take away the cross. Then, he fully surrendered to God’s will.
Sleeping Watchmen – disciple & tree – Jesus asked his disciples to stay awake and pray. He warned them of temptation. When he returned, they were fast asleep.
Prophesied Betrayal – Jesus, path, soldier, money bag – Jesus woke up his disciples when the soldiers arrived to arrest him, for Judas had been paid to betray him.
- What do we learn about praying before a challenge?
- How does it feel to be deeply troubled in your soul?
- Jesus’ disciples had experience fishing all night. Why couldn’t they stay awake when Jesus asked for help?
- Join Jesus as he prays alone. What do you see and hear? What stands out to you about Jesus’ words?
- Why did Jesus warn the disciples about temptation?
- What do we learn about Jesus’ faith and courage?
The following activities will help you remember the story, apply wisdom to your own life, and tell the story to others.
- Pray. Listen to the story. Draw the story.
- Tell the story with the drawings.
- Draw your own pictures to illustrate the story.
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal wisdom in the story.
- Pray. What is the Holy Spirit asking you to do next?
- Go and tell the story to someone. Discuss the story.
- Disciple others to become Spirit-filled storytellers.
Download this lesson > Click here
Want more stories? Visit blazingtrees.org/storytellers
Feeling generous today? Click to give