Priest & Sinner Story (Luke 18)
Judging Hearts – heart & scales – Jesus wanted to help his disciples understand how God evaluates our true motives. He told them a story about two men praying.
Self Righteous – priest, flag, serpent – The priest thought God favored him because of his obedience. Deceived by pride, he glorified himself and his deeds.
Powerful Humility – sorrowful man & flame – The Holy Spirit moved in the tax collector’s heart. He knew he needed forgiveness, and he begged God for mercy.
Kingdom Come – praising man, flame, house, cloud, crown – Jesus said only the tax collector prayed God’s way. God will judge the prideful and bless the humble.
- How is it possible to do your best to live faithfully by God’s rules, and yet still stray far away from his will?
- Was it hard for the disciples when Jesus pointed out the sins of Israel’s leaders like the Pharisees? Why?
- Compare the priest’s prayer to the sinner’s prayer.
- Why did the Pharisee think he was right with God?
- What signs reveal the sinner desired forgiveness?
- How does it feel to discover pride lives in your heart?
The following activities will help you remember the story, apply wisdom to your own life, and tell the story to others.
- Pray. Listen to the story. Draw the story.
- Tell the story with the drawings.
- Draw your own pictures to illustrate the story.
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal wisdom in the story.
- Pray. What is the Holy Spirit asking you to do next?
- Go and tell the story to someone. Discuss the story.
- Disciple others to become Spirit-filled storytellers.
Download this lesson > Click here
Want more stories? Visit blazingtrees.org/storytellers
Feeling generous today? Click to give