Underwater Prayer Story (Jonah 2)
Humbled & Honest – whale, man, flame – Let me tell you a story about Jonah’s prayer inside a whale. God humbled Jonah in the storm. From the whale’s belly, Jonah opened his heart and prayed honestly to God.
Painful Consequences – mountain, ocean, woman – Jonah lamented his selfish decisions. He experienced the bitter fruit of his choice to abandon his calling.
Return & Worship – flame, praying man, fragrant oil – Jonah praised God for his mercy. He rejoiced in the good news that God still listens to us after we fail.
Salvation’s Sacrifice – king, pit, prophet – Jonah praised God for the sacrifices he makes to save the rebellious. God guided the whale to deliver Jonah onto dry land.
- Imagine what it’s like to be swallowed by a whale.
- How does it feel to be completely hopeless?
- Have you ever felt abandoned by someone you love? Why is it so hard to recover from trauma?
- How do you pray when you’re desperate and alone?
- Why is prayer so hard when you’re frustrated?
- How did this experience change Jonah’s heart?
- What’s the most important part of this prayer to you?
The following activities will help you remember the story, apply wisdom to your own life, and tell the story to others.
- Pray. Listen to the story. Draw the story.
- Tell the story with the drawings.
- Draw your own pictures to illustrate the story.
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal wisdom in the story.
- Pray. What is the Holy Spirit asking you to do next?
- Go and tell the story to someone. Discuss the story.
- Disciple others to become Spirit-filled storytellers.
Download this lesson > Click here
Want more stories? Visit blazingtrees.org/storytellers
Ask James a question > firstname.lastname@example.org