Jehoshaphat’s Prayer Story (2 Chronicles 20:1-20)
Fearful King – sword, praying king – Let me tell you a story about a king who faced annihilation of his nation.
Prophesied Deliverance – speaking man, flame, cloud, sword – A vast army assembled to destroy Judah. King Jehoshaphat called the nation to prayer and fasting. Prophet Jahaziel said the LORD will fight for Judah.
Chaos Valley – wilderness & bones – God confused the invading pagan army. Chaos reigned and the armies destroyed one another. Judah did not have to fight.
Victory Celebration – king, flag, road, city, rod & staff – Judah looted the treasures of the vanquished armies on the battlefield; then, they returned home rejoicing.
- Have you ever felt the dread of impending doom?
- How is this story like Gideon’s army in Judges 7?
- Why was the king’s strategic response to potential annihilation spiritual instead of military or diplomacy?
- How do we wrestle with faith in impossible miracles?
- Imagine the battlefield. What do you see and feel?
- What do you think about God after hearing the story?
- How does this story help us with our own fears?
Want more stories? Visit blazingtrees.org/storytellers